Margaret (Curtis) McDaniel + Curtis McDaniel = Curtis.Squared

March 8, 2012

My Wonderful Husband - The Handyman

Curtis would be the first person to tell you that he is not a handyman.  But I am even LESS of one than he is!  With that being said, my wonderful husband has learned to become a little more handy for us.  We have been able to get several things done around the house and most of them are because of his hard work! 

Now, a kitchen sink may seem like a minor improvement, but I think it really makes me appreciate the kitchen!  Here is the before picture:

This faucet was much more difficult to get out of the sink than one would think.  So, Curtis did get some assistance from one of his good friends, Chris.  Here is the after photo:

Doesn't it look fabulous? It is so much easier to wash larger items!

We also had our master and guest bathrooms painted!  The walls were originally just white.  I helped out a little, but Curtis was the one who did most of the work!

  We also had a little boy helping...

He was very curious about everything!

My ways of helping around the house are much smaller.  In our guest bathroom, we have a lighthouse theme.  After the walls were painted, I added these pictures from our trip to the Tybee Island Lighthouse last year.  I think it gives a nice personal touch to the room.

One of our very large projects this year was to update our sliding doors to french doors!  The seal had opened in the sliding doors and the window had become foggy.  I wish I would have taken a before picture so you could see what I mean.  Here's a picture that we took of this area when we first moved in 2 years ago.   Notice the vertical blinds, but the window was not foggy at this time:

And the after shot: 
I am so glad that we replaced the sliding door because it looks so much nicer!  We can now open both sides of the door (as opposed to only opening it halfway with the sliding doors) and it is more energy-efficient with the mini blinds.  Obviously, we hired a professional for this job!

Back to my wonderful husband...
He not only pruned our dead banana tree, but he pruned all 3 of our crate myrtles.

One of the difficulties of our house is that the previous owner was always working in her yard, taking care of the landscaping and plants.  She had created several straw beds, which included a pathway from the driveway to the front entrance of our house.  Here are some pictures from before:
 They looked very nice originally, but now the straw has thinned out and lots of weeds have come through.  We don't have as much time to focus on this, so Curtis (with the advice from his dad) weeded the beds, placed landscaping fabric down, and then added mulch.  He has been working very diligently on Saturdays and some Mondays to finish this huge task.  Here is the first portion that he did:
It looks really nice!  I wish I would have gotten a before picture so you could see all the weeds that had developed.
Here's the second portion that he did:
He didn't get very far because it was beginning to rain on this particular day.
On the 3rd time, I started taking some before/after pictures.  
The above picture shows after Curtis weeded, but before he put down the fabric and the mulch.
And here is the after!!  I think the mulch was a little moist, so it looks darker than some of the other pictures.  Curtis is still trying to plan a time to complete the other side of the front yard.  He has been working very hard, but the goal is that we won't have to worry as much about weeding each year!

A special thanks goes to Joel, Brannon & Jim for letting us borrow their trucks to transport mulch back and forth.

I am so thankful for Curtis! I couldn't have done like half the things he's been doing for our little home. :)

2 comments:

  1. You guys have a beautiful home and I love all the improvements! Maybe someday I will get a chance to see it in person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love all the upgrades to your beautiful home! Each project adds modern touches, brightness and much value to your home! Thank you for sharing these photos with us all. Blessings to you both. Love, Lisa and Curt

    ReplyDelete