Margaret (Curtis) McDaniel + Curtis McDaniel = Curtis.Squared

April 8, 2011

Our Trip to Florida

Last weekend, Curtis and I traveled to Florida for a weekend getaway to visit my family and witness a beautiful wedding. I took off Friday from work; Curtis took that Sunday off.
On Friday, we went to several places that aren’t located in Savannah with my parents.  We went to McCallister’s for lunch and we shopped at Kohl’s! (Side note: Savannah really needs to get a Kohl’s.)  We also watched the new movie, Hop.  Hop was cute, but we really enjoyed the Netflix movie that we saw that evening – My Life In Ruins.  That movie exceeded all of our expectations!  It was a lot of fun to spend time with my parents.  One of the most memorable things that we did was play the game of Scrabble.  It was hilarious!  We had to get out a dictionary because we were all struggling to come up with real words.   

On Saturday, we traveled to Gainesville to witness the beginning of a godly marriage – Kenny and Rebeca Gilbert. This was a real treat for Curtis and I because it was probably the only wedding that both Curtis and I knew the bride very well. Usually, we’ll go to a wedding because Curtis knows someone or because I know someone. Rebeca was involved in RUF with both of us when we were at the University of Florida. She then graduated and went to Covenant Theological Seminary, where Curtis followed after he graduated, as they both attended seminary. I would spend time with Rebeca during my visits to see Curtis as we were dating. Then, Rebeca moved back to Gainesville after she graduated from seminary and we got to be better friends because I was still in school at the University of Florida. She is a great friend to me and she also has helped counsel me through some hard times in my life. We were so happy we could be there to celebrate with her! And we finally got to meet her new husband, Kenny!
While we were at the wedding, we had the opportunity to see old friends from college and seminary since we had so many mutual friends together!  We also got to spend some time with Steve and Jenna, our campus minister and his wife. (Side note: I had every intention of getting a picture of Steve and Jenna, but I forgot, so here’s a picture of Curtis and I together at the wedding instead.)  Steve was one of the pastors that married us and we hadn’t seen them in almost 3 years.  It was a time of encouragement to catch up with them and share about our respective ministries.
We also spent a short time with one of my good friends, Kaylen.  She and I were very involved in RUF and really bonded back in 2005 (and ever since).  Here we are goofing off together in the above picture. 
We went to one of my favorite restaurants, Chipotle.  Yes, this is another restaurant that Savannah really needs to get!  Here I am with Kaylen and another college friend, Megan.  Megan was the pianist in our wedding. 
Curtis and Jono (Kaylen’s husband) had a good time together too.  Here they are trying to block the lights at Chipotle with their hands so that the picture would turn out, haha! 

We traveled back to Jacksonville and went to  the church that I grew up attending – Pinewood.  Although it has changed a lot since I last attended, it was refreshing to visit, worship and see old friends!  We also got to meet Pinewood’s youth pastor and his family and talk to them about our respective youth ministries.  The weekend was lots of fun and very encouraging for us!  It went by too quickly! 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys had a good time on your trip to Florida! Love the blog and photos! I love Chipotle's too!!! I haven't seen the "My LIfe in Ruins" but I hear it's supposed to be funny! Being from a Greek family, I need to see it! Plus, I am planning on visiting Athens in July! Glad all is well! Lisa Hoffman

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you could be at our wedding!Thanks for making the trip =)

    ReplyDelete