Margaret (Curtis) McDaniel + Curtis McDaniel = Curtis.Squared

March 16, 2012

3.14 is Pi Day

My little chocolate pie with the Greek letter for pi on it
I don't think I've officially announced about my new part-time job!  I work at Mathnasium - it's an after-school learning center where I have the privilege of tutoring mathematics to children in my community.  I work about 8-10 hours a week and I tutor children from 1st grade to 10th grade.  I love it here!
One of the most important mathematical constants is Pi (Greek letter π) because it is a ratio between the circumference of a circle and its diameter.  The first 3 digits are 3.14, so March 14th has become known as "Pi Day" in the mathematical world.  Of course, this is a big deal at a place that teaches Math, so we celebrated this on Wednesday. 
Here is one of the kids' pi symbols on their pie before they ate it!
This is one of the young boys that I have been instructing.  He was excited about the apple pie in front of him!
Another student decided to write "3.14" instead of the pi symbol.  The students (and instructors) had a fun and educational time!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun place to work! I bet all the kids love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Margaret, Congratulations on your new employment. This is super and sounds like so much fun! I, myself, am a big fan of the symbol Pi, because I come from a big Greek family and studied Greek one summer when I was 14, with lots of emphasis on the alphabet (another Greek word)!

    Visiting Athens, Greece, last July was great! So much culture! Enjoy your new job and take care. Much love, Lisa (Hoffman)

    ReplyDelete